We are looking for a Junior Product Technologist to join Team OB in our Support Office.
As a Junior Product Technologist at OB you will work closely with the Buying, Design and Quality teams to ensure that our Home and Gift products meet safety and quality requirements and are fit for purpose.
You will work across a varied product range including tabletop, home accessories, textiles, cosmetics, bath & body, furniture and lighting, working to multiple critical path deadlines, and supporting the Quality Assurance Manager and Product Technologists to manage the quality process within the H&G department ensuring that the product launches on time.
Our Support Office is based in Tolworth, near Chessington, only a 30-minute journey from London Waterloo. We offer hybrid working with a mix of office and home working and are open to having conversations about working flexibly.
A bit about us …
At Oliver Bonas (OB), our values of Work Hard, Play Hard & Be Kind are integral to everything we do. Collaboration, imagination, curiosity, and teamwork are key to our success, and everyone has their part to play in making OB a special place to work.
Having fun is key, and a playful and positive approach creates an optimistic environment. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we are serious about what we do.
Our team knows their stuff. They’re confident and creative and unafraid to challenge convention to find solutions, taking accountability for their actions, but always with kindness and humility.
More about the role …
An OB Junior Product Technologist will:
- Assess product design briefs and risk assess designs for quality and production capability call outs ensuring designs are fit for purpose and meet required legal and safety requirements
- Advise Design and Buying teams of potential product specification amends where applicable and with the support of the QA team
- Work closely across functions to manage sealing process documentation to ensure all comments are adequately documented
- Assist and liaise with the H&G team maintaining the critical path and product developments
- Communicate with suppliers and agents on any issue’s, ensuring that samples are produced to required standards
- Assist in resolving technical problems, escalating to QA Manager when required
- Assist product briefing detailing testing requirements to ensure all products adhere to British testing standards and are fit for purpose
- Build strong working relationships with suppliers
- Work with Quality Control department to communicate product methods and any pre-approved production variances expected
- Follow up with any unforeseen product issues and communicate with suppliers and relevant teams
- Visit UK suppliers and test laboratories
- Communicate packaging and labelling requirements for H&G products
- Monitor the performance of packing together with the Quality Control and Returns teams
- Work with suppliers and in-house teams to ensure product packaging is commercial, fit for purpose and not excessive
- Help determine and sign off product care instructions where needed
- Maintain and update technical files, tech specs, design briefs, test reports, product sealing forms, photographs and any relevant correspondence
- Log returns, performance and complaints data to drive technical improvements
- Generate returns analysis and feedback internally to the business
- Work collaboratively with all internal teams including Buying, Design, Quality Control, Customer Service, Merchandising, Warehouse and Stores
- Support seasonal product training sessions
- Work in conjunction with the Ethical team to ensure both new and existing suppliers adhere to our Code of Conduct, feeding any quality issues into audit briefing
- Generous employee discount up to 50% off all OB products
- Free access to our 24 hour employee assistance programme with Care First – offering financial, emotional and vocational support
- Flexible holiday – 30 days (including bank holidays) – increasing to 35 days with length of service
- Annual discretionary profit related bonus scheme
- Free membership for our Westfield Health Cash Plan or Private Medical
- Auto-enrolment into our pension plan
- Free access to our onsite gym
- Cycle to work scheme
- Refer a Friend incentive
- Quarterly free lunch
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity Voice network and EDI team
- Mental Health First Aider support
- Education and support throughout Looop eLearning platform
What we look for:
- Knowledge and proven experience of product technology, risk assessments, safety standards and legal requirements is beneficial
- An awareness of own label product development process
- Fantastic planning and organisational skills
- Great attention to detail and an inquisitive nature
- Proven ability to influence others
- Able to collaborate, manage, develop and strengthen relationships with key suppliers and third parties
- Natural ability to problem solve, multitask and prioritise effectively
- Excellent communication skills and computer literacy
- An interest in home, gift and furniture products
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at OB
At Oliver Bonas, our promise is to do our bit to make living a joyful experience and give cause for optimism. This promise is central to our work in equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). To bring joy to others, we must first ensure everyone at OB feels valued, included and most importantly, can be themselves at work.
It is important to us that our brand reflects wider society and the communities in which we operate. As a result, we welcome all eligible applicants for this role however we are particularly interested in speaking to eligible candidates from the Black, Asian & Mixed Heritage communities.
Oliver Bonas is a Disability Confident Committed employer under the Disability Confident employer scheme.
To read more about our ED&I commitments, head over to the EDI page on our website: https://www.oliverbonas.com/meet-the-team/diversity